Wednesday, December 17, 2008

This is the way victory sounds...



Jennie and I are leaving for Minneapolis on Saturday. We'll be there for two weeks. I'm getting hyped up to see all my favorite people, and eat some Jimmy John's. Why can't we have a Jimmy John's on the West Coast? Best sub sandwiches ever (Go 'head and argue, but I'm not budging on this one). So, I thought I'd post another Minnesota band that you probably haven't heard of. [If your only into the super heavy stuff I post, you might want to skip this one. But if you like to rock, please read on.] Superhopper are pretty great. If you're ever in the Twin Cities, go catch a show, they're always playing. Have a beer or a shot with Kermit, the singer, he's a really nice guy and he knows who you need to talk to if you want to book a show. Hell, get a hold of these guys and try to make them play in your town. Catchy as crabs, hook-laden, and energetic as fuck, these guys will have you all singing along by the end of the set. Last time I saw them, at the 7th St. Entry, Kermit had just gotten married, and was in a super great mood, and had all kinds of funny stage banter (Though by the end of the set he just kept slurring, "Party. Weee'rrre gumma parteeee.)There's a whole show posted on Youtube here. And now comes the shitty part of this post... As much as I love these guys, this CD does not do them justice. Hyper-kinetic keyboard guy Math P. is buried in the mix. In fact, I didn't even realize there were boards on this the first time through. Also, Kermit has a British accent, and I can't figure out where that came from, odd. Still, while I don't endorse this EP as a whole, I can tell you that it has at least three songs I will listen to and love forever. "Kermit Hates Music" is a nice 'lil middle finger of a tune directed at crybaby emo kids and scenesters everywhere; "All Tomorrow's After Bars" is an honest depiction of what it's like to watch your frends lose it in the party scene, "I don't want any of your cocaine, I just wanna know you're OK."; and the CD closes with "Eye of the Tiger Applies to Everything", a song I can't help but always listen to twice in a row. I seriously wanna do the Flashdance when that song kicks in. And listen to the insane drum fill at the end. So rad. If nothing else, get this for that track. And to the band: sorry if this isn't a H.J. of a review. I love you guys. I'll try and pick up a copy of the first CD, "Does this sound exciting yet?" while I'm out there. Oh, yeah, I also included a song from a local compilation, which has those catchy keyboards turned up proper.



Oh, here.

No comments: