Saturday, February 7, 2009

Reverberation (Doubt)


I'm pretty new to the Roky Erickson story, to be honest. In fact, I was pronouncing his first name 'roe-key', when it's actually pronounced like 'rocky'. I think there's been a resurgence of interest in his career because of people like Patrick O'Dell singing his praises. I've listened to the 13th Floor Elevators for years, but never looked into their history. I just picked them up because of the crucial "Nuggets" collection. But, recently I watched a documentary on Netflix called, "You're Gonna Miss Me" (If you have an account, it's available to 'watch instantly'). Holy, shit. Great fucking documentary, if only more than a little heart-wrenching. Hopefully, I'll be able to track down some of his solo albums, the little I've heard is amazing. Anyway, here's their first full length, "The Psychedelic Sounds Of...". Pioneering doesn't even scrape the ice on this. Ripped-off to Hell and back, the surviving members live in poverty. Sometimes, when you get to digging around the base of the Rock n'Roll Giving Tree, you discover gems like this, tangled in the roots. Electric Jug? Yes, Please.

Listen, Sounds Dynamic

1 comment:

Batguano said...

I just watched (instantly) that documentary a couple of weeks ago. One hell of a story! His trippy mom deserves a documentary of her own!

And, thanks for this album... I've been wanting to dig into this since right after the viewing experience. If anything good comes out of your Roky-solo-career-exploration, do share!