Monday, June 22, 2009

...please destroy this if you wish to live...


I know that it has been posted elsewhere, but I feel like this needs to be included on my blog, because this is my favorite album of all. You should own it. I believe it's even still printed in the CD format. Originally released on Nick Blinko's own Outer Himalayn Records, and distributed by the delightfully esoteric folks at Southern Records, Cacophony is possibly the most bizarre and fantastic album to come out of the punk and hardcore scene. Weird is a good word for it. But good weird, like the life and work of the man from whom the album's concept draws its inspiration, Howard Phillips Lovecraft. It's funny, but the first time I bought this album and listened to it, I hated it. I even tried to return it. At that point, I had only heard their early, more straightforward EP's and I wasn't ready. Not for the epic work that is Cacophony. For a song by song breakdown of how each track relates to H.P. Lovecraft's life and writing, check out this page. While you are there, dig around the rest of Piss In A Pod, it is definitely the most comprehensive page I have seen about the Peni and their enigmatic singer, Nick Blinko. They've even got some rare live recordings for the grabbing. (Unlike many of their peers, Rudimentary Peni don't tour, have rarely played live at all in the past twenty years, and only release new material every few years). Rumor has it that the initial tracks for this album were recorded in one take, so I tried to keep that stream-of-consciousness feel by making this a 'gapless album'. I hope you enjoy this record as much as I do, but remember that such things should not be writ, and I will not be held responsible for nightmares, madness, or temporal displacement resulting from the playing of this album.

NEW LINK!08/30

7 comments:

Aesop said...

A favorite of mine as well, and I love how rather than draw inspiration from Lovecraft's work it is inspirde by Lovecraft himself.

Shelby Cobras said...

I second that. Heartily.
One of my all-time favorites, that I probably listen to as much today as I did in high school. It. Never. Stops. Being. Good.

"Give me that descanter, Eliot!'

Fuckhammer said...

I cant download the album!!!!!

RyGar said...

I tried it a second ago and it worked. Seems like zshare added a 77second wit time for downloads, though. It's too large a file for mediafire. If you still have trouble, send me an email and I'll send you a direct copy.

javier said...

same here... heard the record first time from an old tape back in '92. i still think the whole punk movement existed only so this album could be recorded... it's a masterpiece, a work of art, it's genius, it's everything...

jerry said...

there worst one even the band have said so too.

RyGar said...

In this interview, Grant seems pleased with the album :http://www.deathrock.com/rudimentarypeni/interviewcake.html

GRANT: Yeah, that's interesting. Opinion seems to be very much divided about it. I think that artistically, Cacophony has more to offer, but in terms of popularity and sales that Death Church has always been infinitely more popular. It surprised me, really, but that's the way it was.

Out of curiosity, which album do you like best? I'm pretty in love with Death Church, and barely passed posting that one for this. Anyway, your opinion is always welcome, and I appreciate that you took a moment to comment.