Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"It's far out..."


Every honest comic has acknowledged the influence that Richard Pryor (1940-2005) had on their career. He is the progenitor of our modern humor. There is no way you can listen to this and not see where everyone has been getting their ideas from for the past 30+ years. Did you know that "Bicentennial Nigger" won a Grammy? I didn't. I didn't even know that there was a comedy category.I wonder who had to announce that, "And the winner is... Richard Pryor, Bicentennial Nigger!"/ "Yo, what the fuck did you just call me? I will fuck your ass up, motherfucker!" The material here deals mostly with the old "White folks be like/Black folks be like" observational race humor, but there's enough truth under the surface to keep the jokes from sounding all-out racist or hateful. I'm sure the title will scare away the squeamish, besides. This record was put out a few years before he lit up like a campfire while drinking 151 and free-basing. I'm sure you know all about that, but did you know that he was an animal rights activist? He sure was. I hope you enjoy this fine piece of comedy history as much as I do. [Once again, I did what I could to clean up the clicks/pops and general static. The signal to noise ratio on my set-up is pretty suspect, but I'm fine tuning it.]

Motherfucker (DL)

P.s. If this isn't the album you voted for, don't worry, I'll post up the other ones soon.

No comments: